Re: [ecf-dev] Re: [technology-pmc] Newsreader

Hi Eric,

Eric Rizzo wrote:
I must say that I'm disappointed by the lack of any response to this thread from either the ECF folks or the rest of my Technology PMC compadres.

I did respond a week ago...my response to mailing list was apparently bounced via technology pmc so I've taken this response off the technology pmc distribution.

Is it just that everyone is busy with Galileo?

Yes, very.

Or is there really no interest in embedding a newsgroup client into Eclipse?

No, there is interest in embedding a newsgroup client into Eclipse...at least from my point of view.

Does ECF have nothing to say about the possibility of this falling under their umbrella?

No, we have plenty to say...like: sure. But what has to be done next is that Wim (or whoever) has to find an ECF committer who has the time and inclination to work on this...as I don't currently have time myself. After Galileo I would like to work on this, however.

Also it would be good to discuss how/whether this would can/could fit in with the work that was already done in ECF (some time ago) around creating a 'bulletin board' API. This is an API for threaded discussions... and can be found in

/cvsroot/rt org.eclipse.ecf/incubation/bundles

This work never made it out of incubation...simply because the author wasn't able to spend the time/effort to complete it and work on applications/examples. I'm not saying that this has to be integrated with the newsreader...only that it may be an opportunity to integrate some framework with the newsreader application. This is an area where I would like Wim to comment when possible.

Does nobody think a general "Community Outreach" project with real technology deliverables (like a news reader) is worthwhile?

No (I do think it's worthwhile), but I (at least) have a lot of other deliverables atm.

I was hoping this would spark some discussion...

Discussion is fine...but I can't engage in a lot of it these days with Galileo/ECF 3.0 needs coming up. I'm fine with others having discussion though...so please proceed.

Scott

Back to the top