[ecf-dev] Google Wave

Hi Folks,

I spent some leisure time today looking at the stuff on Google Wave: http://wave.google.com.
A couple of thoughts:

1) The notion of a 'wave' seems to me conceptually *very* similar to ECF's concept of a shared object (i.e. the shared object API). Interestingly, in the video they even refer to a wave as a shared object....i.e. arbitrary state shared among a group of participants. 2) They are apparently publishing an incomplete XMPP extension spec: http://www.waveprotocol.org/ for wave provider-to-provider communication. That's sort of interesting and convenient, as we are also heavily using XMPP. 3) They are using operational transformation as the synchronization approach (like cola): http://www.waveprotocol.org/whitepapers/operational-transform 4) Their demo failed in a couple of places...even Google teams are subject to network failure :).

It's very interesting stuff...happily very close to some of our own work in some respects. Given their open protocol approach, I think it will be natural to interoperate.

Scott

Back to the top