Re: [ecf-dev] Re: [osgi-dev] Best practice to decouple remote technology from bundles

Hi Eugen,

Eugen Reiswich wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your detailed answer. As I have already used ECF now for about one year I see the advantages of this technology. But I do also have to convince my project lead and other colleagues of the reliability and sustainability of ECF.

Well, I think there are a few things to say about this (these are my own biases of course)

1) Reliability: My own opinion about this is that reliability of implementations is only achieved over time...with usage, and a variety of use cases not considered in the original implementation. Frankly, after more than 20 years in software, I just don't believe corporations (or anyone for that matter) when they say they've produced something 'reliable' that's new. In other words, I think that reliability only comes through creating a community...and open implementations (and open projects) make communities much more efficient at improving implementations (IMHO). To me, this is one of the key user advantages of open source efforts.

2) Sustainability: The thing that I believe makes open source maintainable is that there are no secrets. That is, everyone can not only get/review the source, they can also fix bugs, add features, and contribute these back to the community (and project). Another thing to say about sustainability is that it's my belief that as a project we (ECF) are perhaps *more* sustainable than many commercial ventures, because our involvement with ECF is not based upon commercial success. That is, we will continue working on the project, and the project goes forward...no matter what happens with commercial usage/adoption/competition. As you can tell from examining other open source projects, commerical organizations can sometimes be 'fickle' when it comes to sustaining such efforts. This will not happen with ECF.

So, although like I said above, I'm admittedly biased, I actually think open source projects in general (and ECF in particular) has advantages on both Reliability and Sustainability.
My $0.03.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top