Re: [ecf-dev] ECF-RFC119 custom discovery provider?

Bryan Hunt wrote:
> Markus,
>
> I've looked into DNS-SD a bit more, and I don't think it's going to
> work.  We don't control our DNS servers, and it doesn't look like
> there's an easy way to get the code to use a private DNS server.

True, the DNS resolver will resolve the domain via the root servers. An
overwrite with a private DNS would mean to have configuration on the
client side anyway.

> I started reading through RFC2608, and it seems that I could simply use
> SLP with a statically configured DA.  Does this approach seem
> reasonable?  It seems that I simply need to write my own DA.

If it is acceptable for you to have static configuration on the clients
(DA address), you should check out OpenSLP or jSLP2.0.
While the former is written in C a the project has been pretty much
inactive for some time now, the latter is developed by a student of Jan
Rellermeyer at ETH Zurich as part of M.Sc. project and due any time now.
jSLP 2.0 is going to end up as part of the Apache DS project.

Markus

Back to the top