Re: [ecf-dev] Re: JGroups ECF server

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Henry Perret wrote:
ok Scott,

but why if the JGroups knows about that ?

It's possible to config Jgroups as to be itself sort of... ECF JGroups server , wouldn't it ?

I"m not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but the way the JGroups provider works is that when an ECF 'manager' is created (note it's not a 'server' in the traditional sense, so it's refered to as the pub/sub group 'manager'), it starts-up and listens to a multicast ip addres/port combination. Then, ECF client containers can connect to that group *iff* the connectivity (via multicast) is present...that is, if I start a group manager on ecf.eclipse.org, and then try to connect to it from here at my desk, the connection/communication will only work if the multicast messages sent from my process to the ECF group manager can make it...i.e. through all routers from my lan to ecf.eclipse.org. And this is not (at all) guaranteed on the wider internet (unfortunately, but that's a long story).

Scott