Re: [ecf-dev] JMS and FileTransfer

Hi Birch,

J B wrote:
In the near future, we will be attempting to plugin in our own ECF
transport layer into the P2 provisioning system based on JMS.  In
order to do this, the transport layer needs to support the
FileTransfer functionality, which currently, it does not.

Has anyone worked on doing this?

Sort of ;-). The JMS provider currently implements what we call the shared object API: i.e. org.eclipse.ecf.core.sharedobject. This makes it possible to implement container adapters (like the IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter) with a shared object instance...rather than as a container subclass (which although doable, can be cumbersome).

So the thing currently missing is a shared object that implements the IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter (and the ISendFileTransferContainerAdapter). If you will open an enhancement request (call it "Add shared object that implements file transfer API"), I will begin the creation of just such a shared object...and perhaps we can work together on it over the next little while. If you would rather not do this, or would rather do it yourself then please say so...that won't be a problem either.

An advantage of having the file transfer API implemented as a shared object (rather than adding it to the JMS provider directly) would be that once it was exposed as a shared object, then all providers that implement the shared object API would also be able to use it (JMS, but also JavaGroups, XMPP, others). Basically, this is way to get componentization and reuse for ECF providers.

Scott

I have the source pulled down and
will begin looking into it, just want to reach out and check first.

Thanks!

Birch