Re: [ecf-dev] Remote services with XMPP between Linux and Windows

Hi Guillaume,

This is very exciting. Would you be willing to add some info about this project to the ECF adopters wiki page?

http://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF/Adopters

Thanksinadvance...and do let us know how we might effect getting your application into ECF (as example app, etc).

One thing I've been thinking...maybe we could have a wiki page(s) for ECF users/adopters to make available their work to the community (e.g. a community gallery or some such).

Scott

Guillaume PRIN wrote:
Hi,

Excellent!  Would you mind describing with a note to this list what you
are doing with the XMPP-based remote services?  Others on this list
might be interested...and I know I would be very interested as well.

We are realizing a collaborative platform for science. This is made up
of a kernel and an user interface build with RCP. The kernel uses a database
with EclipseLink for persistence. The kernel and the ui communicate via
XMPP remote services. The users are authenticated in the kernel when
connecting with their XMPP identifier (done in the splash screen). The
users can communicate together by instant messaging. The system also
uses XMPP files transfers to transfer files between kernel and the user
interfaces.

Further...is there some potential for you to contribute an example
application using ECF remote services?  We (ECF team) are looking for
interesting applications that use ECF remote services (on whichever
transport) and would like to make them available via ECF's wiki
page...and perhaps even as part of ECF distros.

Yes. I think about an example application which can demonstrate for
instant message :
 * presence,
 * remote services (events, proxy, sync, async, fireasync),
 * file transfers,
 * chat
Perhaps an RCP application (like my preceding 'testBidule'), with a view
by functionality with few text fields to set parameters (such as name space,
container, identifier, pwd, etc ...) ?

Guillaume

Thanks much for your consideration!

Scott

Guillaume PRIN wrote:
Hi Scott,

I set up an Eclipse Galileo M6 with CVS HEAD for ECF bundles to run my
little
RCP application on linux and on windows.
All works fine ! I can now use and register the service, regardless
the used OS.

I re-join my application with modified dependencies for Galileo M6 and
HEAD
bundles for ECF :
Attached file : testBidule.tgz

Thanks a lot,
Guillaume

Guillaume PRIN a écrit :
Hi Scott,

OK for Tuesday. I am in Central European timezone (UTC+2 in summer).
I will set up a Eclipse 3.5M6 with CVS HEAD for ECF on my linux.

Guillaume

Scott Lewis a écrit :
Hi Guilaume,

Let's try for next Tuesday (April 7). What timezone are you in? I'm in
pacific tz.

I have Windows and will be working from HEAD for ECF and Eclipse
3.5M6...running in debugger would be good idea.

Thanks,

Scott

Guillaume PRIN wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.
As for me,  I did not always have access to a Windows desktop machine.
I can
assure the linux part of the tests, for example tuesday or wednesday.
I think I will also test my application with Galileo and the head
version from cvs.

Thanks,
Guillaume

Scott Lewis a écrit :
Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for posting the application.
I have a couiple of other things going right now...still
recovering/catching up from EclipseCon among a few others. Perhaps you
and I could arrange to test out the code with Windows on my side and
Linux on yours to reproduce in debuggers...sometime early next
week?  I
will take a look at your previous posting and this code as soon as I
can...at some point it may be useful to setup a test between you
and me
on the net, as I don't have constant access to Linux desktop
machine. In
any case, we'll figure out what's going wrong here for you and
fix/work
around as necessary.

Thanks,

Scott

Guillaume PRIN wrote:
Hi,

To test my problem of compatibility of remote service over ECF/XMPP
between
Windows and linux. Here is my test code :

Attached file : testBidule.tgz

This a RCP application based upon the RCP Mail Template. The client
(1) is
started with 'Run 1', the client (2) is started with 'Run 2'. Output
is written
in a SWT Text widget. The outputs of client (1) is preceded by '1
--->' and
the outputs of client (2) is preceded by '2 --->'. The remote
service
write
activities in the stdout.

Thanks,
Guillaume

Guillaume PRIN a écrit :
Hi,

I'm working on remote service over ECF/XMPP with eclipse.
I encounter problems with interoperability between Windows and
linux.
My XMPP
server is Openfire 3.6.0 on a mandriva 2007 linux box.

I create a simple test case, here is the context :
 - a first client (1) connects to XMPP and sets up a
IRemoteServiceListener then wait.
 - a second client (2) connects to XMPP and registers a service for
the
target (1), This service concatenates two strings parameters and
return the
result.
 - the client (1) then receives an event and call synchronously the
method on the interface.

When I run both the 2 clients on windows or both the 2 clients on
linux,
(on the same machine or different machines) all works fine.

When I run client (1) on linux and client (2) on windows, I don't
receive the event from the IRemoteServiceListener listener, so the
service is not called.

When I run client (1) on windows and client (2) on linux, the
event is
received, the method is executed but the result string does not
arrive.
The request times out.

Does anyone has already encountered this problem?

Configuration :
For the two OS, the java virtual machine are :
java version "1.6.0_12"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.2-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

The bundles for ECF are :
 org.eclipse.ecf : "1.4.0",
 org.eclipse.ecf.provider : "1.3.0",
 org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice : "2.0.0",
 org.eclipse.ecf.sharedobject : "1.3.0",
 org.eclipse.ecf.provider.xmpp : "2.0.100",
 org.eclipse.ecf.presence : "1.3.0"

The test machines are :
 - a Windows XP 5.1 SP3 box
 - a linux Mandriva 2007 box