[ecf-dev] CDC 1.0 or 1.0...that is (another) question

Hi ECFers,

In ECF core we currently do not support converting IDs to URI or constructing IDs from URIs. The reason for this has been that the ECF core identity work only depends upon CDC 1.0/Foundation 1.0, and CDC 1.0/Foundation 1.0 does not have the java.net.URI class.

Now, with both p2 and e4 more dependent upon URI (and therefore requiring CDC 1.1) it may be appropriate for us to consider supporting this more naturally by introducing the following interface (or something like it) into some ECF API bundle:

public IResourceID extends ID {

public URI toURI();

}

Then people can/could construct and use IResourceIDs (and therefore URIs) in appropriate places within ECF clients. If we do this, however, it means that any bundle that contains this interface now requires use of CDC 1.1 rather than 1.0. If we do this, there are a couple of options for where we can/could put it. One would be to put it in org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer (filetransfer API), another would be in the org.eclipse.ecf.core.identity alongside ID. Clearly if it was in filetransfer then the ECF core plugins would not have to be moved up to CDC 1.1 (only the filetransfer API and providers). This would, however, prevent CDC 1.0-only clients from using the filetransfer API. If it is put in org.eclipse.ecf.core.identity then it prevents CDC 1.0-only clients from using any of ECF.

My sense is that these (CDC 1.0-only) clients are few and getting fewer over time. Does this square with other's observations?

In any event, any other comments/thoughts appreciated.

Scott

Back to the top