Re: Re: [ecf-dev] Shared editing for custom editors - dependencies?

Scott Lewis <scottslewis@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 09/30/2008 08:02:52 PM:

> Hi Jan,
>
> Jan Ploski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > (I hope you don't mind the direct email. I found a related message
from
> > you on ecf-dev, but I'm not subscribed myself.)
> >

> It would be a good idea to post this question to ecf-dev as well...so
> that others can benefit from the question and resulting dialog.
>

> > >From
> > http://wiki.eclipse.org/Extending_Real-
> Time_Shared_Editing_for_Use_with_Other_Editors:
> >

> > "The new or existing plugin that has this markup will have a
dependency on

> > the
> > org.eclipse.ecf.internal.provisional.docshare.menu.
> DocShareRosterMenuContributionItem
> >
> > class (and therefore the org.eclipse.ecf.docshare plugin)"
> >
> > I think this needs clarification. Does it mean that
> > org.eclipse.ecf.docshare must be added to the list of dependencies of
the
> > plug-in which declares the extension?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Will exceptions be thrown or other
> > problems occur if no such explicit dependency on ECF is declared in
that
> > plug-in?
>
> I believe that the extension will be ignored, and there might be a
> warning printed to the Eclipse log.  What will happen here is that the
> Eclipse extension registry will read this markup, attempt to create an
> instance of the DocShareRosterMenuContributionItem, and then fail to
> find the class (because no import-package or require-bundle dependency
> was added to the plugin's markup).  The failure to load the class
> happens within the extension registry, and I think that by default the
> extension registry prints a warning (or possibly exception) to the
> system log when such load failures occur.  It won't bubble up to the UI.
>
> > If no explicit dependency is present, will exceptions be thrown
> > if the user has no ECF installed?
> >

> I think the underlying exception will be the same (ClassNotFound or some

> such).   So the same thing will happen (warning or exception to log) as
> happens above.
>
> Again I would encourage you to post this to ecf-dev as well...also
> because we have it available in archive.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that it could be somehow integrated
magically without an extra explicit dependency on ECF, but now I see that
the out-of-the-box support for the Java/Text editors is hardcoded in the
docshare plug-in (rather than in these editors themselves).

Regards,
Jan Ploski

Back to the top