Re: [ecf-dev] OSGi RFC 119 for ECF 3.0?

AFAIK the OSGi members have the first right of refusal to supply the RI for any given part of the spec.  It is up to them to decide if they will give it away, sell it, make it real, ...  If no members choose to take this right, then the alliance looks to open source for a viable RI.  Since open source projects are generally not in the business of writing demonstrator code, these RIs tend to be real (Equinox supplies several of these RIs).  There is a certain value to having an RI that is both real and open, thus my interest in whether or not ECF would be in a position to supply an RI.

Having said that, I agree that having an implementation that passes the TCK is the first priority.

Jeff

Rellermeyer Jan Simon wrote:
Actually, I don't know but the intention of RIs is not that you download and use them. They are provided by member companies to illustrate the technology for prospective other implementers, allow evaluation of the technology, act as counterpart for developing the TCK, etc. As such, they are only available for other member companies so it doesn't really matter who has written them because nobody will really see them.

Anyway, let's put it like this, there is no need for us to implement anything that serves as a RI but there is definitely demand to implement the RFC so that the open community can use it.

Cheers,

Jan.