Re: [ecf-dev] ECF move to runtime project

I've been using SVN for some time now and I'm very happy with it. I think that the multiple rename problem that Christian mentions has been fixed for some time and I have no issues with performance. There are two things worth considering though. One is the "lowest common denominator" that Scott brings up. The other is that although Subversive indeed is up to the task, you are still required to download the client libraries from a second update site that is external to eclipse.org. This is because the Eclipse EMO has some issues with LGPL that apparently won't get resolved near term.

Personally, I think that *if* the licensing issue could be resolved so that SVN could be provided through the "normal" update site, then SVN adoption *wouldn't* be an issue. The platform could easily integrate it into their build if need be. I would gladly help with that if needed. But that's a big *if* and *wouldn't*.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Christian Campo wrote:
just my 2 cent

I was all in favor to use SVN until we used SVN within our company. That was about 9 month ago or so. I think it has potential but still ..... CVS is ...... less complicated

Two issues that I remember
- renaming class A to B and then to C wasnt possible with SVN. you first had to check in the class with name B before you rename it again.... - and checking out stuff with SVN is slower then CVS (and I mean you could tell it was slower without a clock)

but again I am not contra SVN... features like keeping the history when you rename are all worthwhile

So I dont want to be in the middle of a SVN vs CVS war :-)

so just by 2 cent as I said

christian

p.s. we went back to CVS, less hazzle....