Re: [ecf-dev] ECF Collaboration with C++ code

Hi Jeff,

[I'm cross posting this to Doug Schaefer, the CDT project lead, because this is actually a request for the CDT C++ editor to support ECF real-time shared editing]

Jeff Koftinoff wrote:
I like ECF and the Collaboration Tools. I have a local ECF server running and a local XMPP server as well (jabberd14). When I open a java file I can right click on it and specify "Share with ->" and select my friend to share the editing with.

With a C++ source file, regardless if I am in java perspective or CDT perspective, the "Share with" menu option is unavailable.

How do I enable "Share With" for my project?

In general, for any Eclipse-based ITextEditor you can do this via this procedure:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Extending_Real-Time_Shared_Editing_for_Use_with_Other_Editors

Now, I don't know the C++ editor, so I'm not sure if it implements ITextEditor, and I also don't know what the C++ editor(s) context id is (which is needed as described on the page above).

Ideally, the CDT project would agree to add the markup described on the page above to their C++ editor...which would then automatically enable the editor with shared editing capabilities (as we did for the java and txt editors) if ECF and docshare had been installed. But that is their choice. (BTW, we've heard the WTP project intends to do exactly this for a number of their xml editors and other editors within WTP).

Thanks,

Scott

Regards
Jeff Koftinoff