Re: [ecf-dev] RPC for Remote P2 repositories

Hi Jeff and Scott,
I have a prototype of a remote p2 repository server running (well, my client consists of junit tests so far so it's not quite ready for production). I wrote this prototype using JSON-RPC, mainly because I was familiar with it, I knew it to introduce little overhead, and that all communication was based on http.

The difficulty that I found (and still find) most troublesome is the fact that many of the p2 objects cannot be serialized in a standardized fashion. I think it would be great if relevant objects implemented the java.io.Serializable interface or if some other generic serialization was made available. As it stands now, I have to provide custom marshalling for most of the objects. An approach that takes me too close to the actual implementation to feel comfortable.

Given the nature of the p2 resolver, I found that remoting the meta-data interface served a very limited purpose. The resolver must have access to "everything" anyway in order to do it's job so my approach so far has been more in the nature of a remotely controllable mirror that can serve up entire repositories. The artifact repository however, is easier.

I'm very much in favor of having the real implementation under the ECF and Equinox projects as I feel that this type of functionality should fit in one or the other entirely. I'm not sure how my current prototype overlaps with the Remote RCP Management but if what I'm doing can be merged into this project or my requirements can be met (me contributing of course), then that's the right way to go.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Jeff McAffer wrote:
I am all for most of what you suggest. I do think that we should separate the issues of remote p2 and remote messaging. For example it is not clear that remote references and tc would me something we want to get into for p2. As such, ECG should be doing the comma infrastructre and then p2 should use that to make available it's function remotely. This this way the story is clear to consumers and we end up with a cleaner structure.

Jeff