Re: [ecf-dev] Intermittent adapter problems

Hi Scott,
We added synchronization around the getAdapter(IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter.class) call. Apparently that helps in our case and everything is stable now. I'm not sure why but I though I'd tell you anyway.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Scott Lewis wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
<stuff deleted>
Intermittently, and so far seemingly without any pattern, when get a null value at times when other code in this bundle call the createRetrieveFileTransfer() method.

So far I've been unable to find the reason. Have you seen anything like this before?

No, not really.

Do you have any ideas what could be causing this?

One thought is that perhaps it's the platform IAdapterManager service not getting initialized for some reason. (i.e. environment, start sequence, or ?) Because the BaseContainer returned from createContainer() has this as it's impl of getAdapter:

   public Object getAdapter(Class serviceType) {
       if (serviceType == null)
           return null;
       if (serviceType.isInstance(this)) {
           return this;
       }
IAdapterManager adapterManager = ECFPlugin.getDefault().getAdapterManager(); return (adapterManager == null) ? null : adapterManager.loadAdapter(this, serviceType.getName());
   }

For the file transfer provider an adapter manager is registered with the platform via this markup:

  <extension
        point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.adapters">
     <factory
           adaptableType="org.eclipse.ecf.core.BaseContainer"
class="org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.retrieve.MultiProtocolRetrieveAdapterFactory"> <adapter type="org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer.IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter"/>
     </factory>
  </extension>

If, for whatever reason the adapterManager is not initialized then the getAdapterManager would return null. Is there possibly some race condition in the initialization of the platform adapter manager?

What version of Eclipse are you using? I think I recall something about Eclipse 3.3 platform having a bug in adapter manager initialization, but I can't recall/find the bug at the moment. (but of course if this is Eclipse 3.4 then this is not what's going on).

Scott

Thanks,
Thomas Hallgren