Re: [ecf-dev] Changing DocShare requirements to Java 1.5 and up - any objections?

Jan S. Rellermeyer wrote:

I know generics very well. But as far as I know, generics are not using any
specific new bytecode instructions but are "only" type checking and compiler
preprocessing. Hence, it should be absolutely possible to have a compiler
supporting generics but creating bytecode which is backward compatible with
J2SE and CDC.

The standard javac has undocumented support for this, at least for the 1.4 target. If you know what you are doing, you can use javac -source 1.5 -target jsr14 ...

The reason they don't document it is because there is no legal Java Language Specification that describes the valid source.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top