RE: [ecf-dev] Changing DocShare requirements to Java 1.5 and up - any objections?

> @Chris & Jan
> I agree with Thomas. Generics are much more than "syntactic sugar"
> and/or "cosmetics".
> If you'd like to risk a deeper look, I can recommend the book "Java
> Generics and Collections" by Naftalin & Wadler, published by O'Reilly.

I know generics very well. But as far as I know, generics are not using any
specific new bytecode instructions but are "only" type checking and compiler
preprocessing. Hence, it should be absolutely possible to have a compiler
supporting generics but creating bytecode which is backward compatible with
J2SE and CDC.

Cheers,

Jan.

Back to the top