Re: [ecf-dev] Changing DocShare requirements to Java 1.5 and up - any objections?

First of all, thank you all for the feedback and the detailed discussion.

@Chris & Jan
I agree with Thomas. Generics are much more than "syntactic sugar"
and/or "cosmetics".
If you'd like to risk a deeper look, I can recommend the book "Java
Generics and Collections" by Naftalin & Wadler, published by O'Reilly.

@Chris
Currently Cola is mainly non-UI work. I am certain that Cola is not
tied to Desktop-type applications.

@All
I am not writing more on this issue, since these are the type of
discussion that can easily drift away to become pseudo-religious
ramblings and I need to catch the subway to a morning of lectures :)

Both sides have their definite pros & cons. Java being extended as a
language (in addition to the platform), instead of standing still, is
great, so is being able to run your programs anywhere without needing
to check for a JVM version. Sadly you can't have both.

For now it sounds like as if I'd keep continuing my routine of hacking
the way I feel is best and stripping the code of language extensions
when checking it into the ECF CVS.

Cheers,

Mustafa