Re: [ecf-dev] ECF, Skype, and 64-bit systems

Possibly we are not setting it up correctly on 64bit Linux. The distro
we are using is Ubuntu Gutsy 64-bit. Here is what we did. Will you
attend the phone meeting today?

1.
I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of Eclipse, 3.4m5. It
works fine. I downloaded the 64-bit version of Java 6 update 4
(jdk-6u4-linux-x64.bin). It works fine with Eclipse. We can write
simple Java programs.

2.
I downloaded Skype from Ubuntu's SPM. It installs and works fine from
its own Skype interface. We can make phone calls and send messages. I
download and install the Skype plugin (the zip file). It does not work
from within Eclipse. In fact, we do not even see the Skype selection
in the ECF dropdown. The provider is installed.

Now if I instead run on a 32-bit Linux Ubuntu, using the 32-bit
Eclipse, 32-bit Java, Skype from Ubuntu's SPM, it works fine. If I run
on 32-bit windows, the Skype plugin does not work, but here is an
important qualification ... if I build Skype on a 32bit Linux system,
it works fine on 32bit windows and 32bit linux. It does not work on
32bit windows, if it is built on 64-bit Linux. That's the difference.
I can modify the resulting Skype plugin as built on 64bit Linux to
work on 32bit Windows by replacing one class file in one of the jars
making up the Skype plugin with the class file as made on a 32-bit
system.

The file I must replace is
com/skype/connector/windows/WindowsConnector$1.class in
com.skype_0.3.0.HEAD.jar. I replace it with the same file built on
32-bit Linux.

Now when we build on 64-bit Linux we have to be careful to copy the
org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86_3.3.0.v3346.jar fragment to the
Eclipse plugins directory so that references are resolved. This jar is
of course not used by Eclipse as it runs on our 64-bit Linux but it is
needed for the Skype build.

Now unfortunately when I tried this out on a 64-bit linux (running not
building) this was down quickly because I did not have the machine for
very long. But two of us tried very hard during a hour or so and could
not get it to work. It's not proactical to use our 64-bit build linux
sysem (Suse 10.2) to run on.

Now when I say a build on 32-linux works and one on 64-bit linux does
not, I really do mean the verys same files. The Skype code is the same
on both systems as are all the build files (the ant scripts and config
files). The different is that the 32bit system has 32-bit eclipse and
32-bit java.

If you have more information about this and can attend our phone
meeting (which I think is today) that's be great. Thanks.
 -ted