Re: [ecf-dev] ECF status -- discovery

Scott Lewis wrote:
Hi Folks,

Rather than send out a long note about all parts of ECF, I'm going to send out several relatively short notes about the various parts of ECF.

This one is about discovery.  A couple of things:

1) For Markus: I forgot to mention during the call today that I have updated/added to the test code in org.eclipse.ecf.tests.discovery to make them complete. Now all test methods are complete (in DiscoveryTest), and the zeroconf provider passes all tests.

OK, I'll look into it to get the tests for jSLP working too. Especially with the jSLP provider moved to dev.eclipse.org :-)

2) I've been thinking that perhaps we could add some utility classes or even perhaps extension points to make use of the discovery even easier. e.g. perhaps adding something analogous to an OSGi ServiceTracker...that allows some filtering/matching of properties and/or serviceid associated with a given discovered service (via IServiceInfo). This is just a thought. Although fairly simple now, there might be ways to make it easier.

Are you talking about something like a more specific listener registration?

3) Markus and I spoke during today's conference call about possibly adding to the discovery service browser view an extension point that allowed other plugins to register themselves as interested in certain types of services...and then being able to insert actions that the user can/could invoke...e.g. invoke service. This would make it very easy to test services published via the discovery API.

4) I would like to persue some demo applications for EclipseCon that use/show the discovery API. Some initial thoughts: a) Use the discovery view to discover and then invoke iTunes remote control (iTunes has a remote control interface that is exposed via zeroconf). This might make kind of a cool demo...running iTunes via Eclipse. b) Putting together the discovery API, SLP provider, and the r-OSGi provider for the ECF remote services API. Perhaps an Equinox server and/or an eRCP device interacting via discovery/remote services. c) Discovering and accessing some Eclipse-based services...e.g. PlatformAdmin (to diagnose and fix bundle installation problems), update manager (e.g. to discover lan-based update sites and present them in (e.g.) the list of available remote sites in update.
d) setup discovery of p2 meta-data and artifact repositories
e) others?

For 3) and 4) I'd need to get our service view into shape for contribution. I'm not entirely sure that I can pull that off in time for EclipseCon, though for a demo the code probably doesn't need to be through the IP process.

Cheers
Markus

PS: I've just moved the jSLP provider and tests to dev.eclipse.org. Consider the IP process for jSLP provider done. :) Next on my list is jSLP itself.

Back to the top