Re: [ecf-dev] Java5 language features in JUnit tests

Keeping your tests to the same EE base as the bundle being tested allows you to run the tests in exactly the environment required by the bundle under test.  So if you have a Foudnation 1.0 bundle but your tests require 1.5 you will never be able to test the bundle in its minimum environment.  As observed, it would also mean that for exampel you could not run the tests on the actual devices.

Jeff

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/29/2007 05:01 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Communication Framework \(ECF\) developer mailing list."        <ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [ecf-dev] Java5 language features in JUnit tests

Hi Markus,

Markus Alexander Kuppe wrote:

Scott Lewis wrote:

Hi Markus,

Yes...we've been holding to JRE 1.4 compatibility for all plugins (that
can).

We can revisit this, of course.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I don't have a specific test case that requires JRE 1.5, though I wonder
what the benefit of having the test not exceed the bundle under test EE
in general is? The only reason I can imagine, is to debug problems on
smaller devices for which one only gets a CDC1/JRE 1.4 EE.

Right.

Bottom line, I can work around JRE 1.5 and don't need anything changed
though I'd link to use JRE 1.5 features since they simplify certain things.

Yes, I agree there are some 1.5 features that would be useful in test code (as well as regular impl code).  I do wish that Equinox and OSGi would at least plan for move to 1.5.

I think that if there is an 'undue burden' to keep 1.4 compatibility that we should consider having test bundles that use 1.5 features.  Maybe we could even come up with/use any conventions that exist (?...perhaps in EMF?) for having both 1.5-specific test bundles alongside 1.4-specific test bundles.

Scott

Regards,
Markus