Re: [ecf-dev] AW: jSLP will be donate to the directoy project at apache.org

This is great news either way.  Having the function available is the most interesting part.  Having it at Eclipse is certainly more convenient but then I'm sure the Apache folks would say the same about having it at Apache.  Running the legal system here at Eclipse may take some time but at least for incubation it is not a big deal.  Some additional topics/thoughts

- What is the timeline for the SLP implementation?  That is, will there be something in place/released by Ganymede?

- For these things we need to look at how to consume intermediate results. I'm not sure how this would work given the IP process.  We could likely get "milestones" from Apache and run them through IP for initial license review.   Code from Apache generally goes through pretty fast.

- ECF having graduated is no longer entitled to parallel IP consideration.   Given the nature of ECF (implementing new protocols etc) this is something we should look at addressing.

Jeff

"Rellermeyer  Jan Simon" <rellermeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/24/2007 06:10 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Communication Framework \(ECF\) developer mailing list."        <ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
[ecf-dev] AW: jSLP will be donate to the directoy project at        apache.org

Yes, let me clearify this a bit. My intention is and was to donate my project to where they are most helpful (with respect to other projects going on in the community and how the flavor of the project fits into the big picture). That's why I split things like that.
R-OSGi perfectly fits into the environment of ECF and the efforts of the Eclipse community around distributed OSGi services seemed most mature to me.
On the other hand, jSLP is a protocol implementation and Apache has a long tradition in this field. Putting jSLP into the context of Apache Directory Server helps the project in several way, one is that there will eventually be a full Java SLP DA implementation, another is that there might be more interest in extending the implementation with things like IPv6 support and other issues that remained open so far.
All in all, I have always been at the point that the large open-source projects have enough in common so that they should be able to cooperate, despite obvious differences in their culture and structure. I hope you understand my point.

Cheers,

Jan.