Re: [ecf-dev] COMMITTERS PLEASE READ: No conference call today

Hi,

On 9/17/07, Remy Chi Jian Suen <remy.suen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If we want to integrate (some or all of) XCDE into our code base we
should get a CQ going as soon as possible.

I think we should not try to integrate any XCDE code for ECF 1.2, due October 5th.

XCDE seems to break API contracts in order to access platform/framework information. We should investigate those issues closer before trying to integrate the code into ECF.
Due to the non-trivial nature of the real-time shared editing domain, I'd suggest we take a little more time for this.

My proposition is that we make the existing "cola" code work for

1.) multi-character operations, as is common when copy- and pasting

2.) non-empty files at the time of sharing (which would translate to sending the initial content of a text file over to new participants as a single multi-character insertion)

3.) more than two editing session participants

With these features in place, we'd have some solid real-time shared editing support for plain text files.

After that we could start dogfooding and identify the next features we'd like to see realized, among which I am sure most of us would like to see support for the full-fledged editors with code completion (which also might be translated as a multi-character insertion).

This is something where XCDE might be of help, the extent of which depends on how it makes use of the officially exposed parts of the various eclipse APIs and to what degree it uses hacks to get around to access private state.

Let's talk about these issues in a little more detail during our call tomorrow.

-Mustafa

I am curious as to whether any of their team members are still in the
Waterloo area (as I presume they all finished their last term in
April) since they actually attended the same university that I am
attending right now, the University of Waterloo
(http://www.uwaterloo.ca/).

Rem