Re: [ecf-dev] Optionally Using ECF Functionality

Hi Ken,

Ken Gilmer wrote:

Scott ~

  Sorry, somehow your response slipped past me.  I found it in the list archive:

Is this for an Eclipse-based app or something else (e.g. an RCP app)?

  Yes, eclipse based.  We're just releasing some plugins.

Well, I suppose that we could add an extension point that by schema passed a container name (e.g. ecf.irc.irclib), targetID (e.g. irc://username@hostname:port/channel), and (opt) password onto a class that created the container, connected to it, and displayed the ChatRoomManagerView. The bot API already has an extension point somewhat like this...(org.eclipse.ecf.presence.bot.chatRoomRobot).

I'm not immediately sure where such an extension point should go, however...and it's not clear to me how the view that was opened would 'know' which perspective (yours) that it should display in (i.e. without some 'advisor' interface...which would result in an ECF code dependency [intf] as well).

So I'm not against it, but I don't yet know how (or where) exactly to implement such an extension point.
Hmm, well I'm pretty sure we can invoke the view just by passing it's ID (String).  But as far as the internal mechanics go, yeah I'm not too clear on this either.  We can take a look at it here.  It's been several months since I've been arm-deep in Eclipse development to be honest.  As a potential consumer of ECF (again, day job), ECF's value increases significantly if I can integrate without depending on it.

Well, the only way that I can immediately think of not to have *any* compile time dependencies (not on core or any ECF bundles) would be to create an extension point that takes only strings and does the right things (e.g. creates the ECF view inside of a given perspective...i.e. where perspective id is passed in I in?).  Anyway, if we can define such an extension point that will work for you (i.e. do the right thing with/for your user interface) then we can add it...obviously it can't depend upon anything but platform UI code (since ECF can't/couldn't depend upon your company's UI).

But after thinking about it a little more it does seem like having something like what the bot API does, along with some attributes in extension point schema for doing the right thing WRT your/other UI would be doable.

BTW, not sure whether you were aware of it, but ECF 1.0.0  added a 'Communications' perspective.  Perhaps that could be of some usefulness.

Scott

Thanks
ken