Subject: EclipseSource: Keys to Collaboration
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:56:45 EDT
From: BZ Media<news@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

EclipseSource

Issue 57
July 18, 2007

» EdNotes: Collaboration Needs Communication
» Upcoming Events
» Actuate Makes BIRT More Suite
» Eclipse-a-Palooza
» EPICenter
» Tips: Unleashing the Magic of Wizards

EdNotes

  ECF Web Seminar on July 31

Instant messaging is a wonderful thing. If I could bottle the productivity that my coworkers and I have saved since we starting using it seven years ago, it would give Snapple a run for its money.

And to development teams—who collaborate at least as much as we publishing folks do—the ability to communicate instantly can be just as indispensable. Picking up the phone can be so inefficient!

Now that Eclipse Communication Framework 1.0 is here, there's a standard way to add IM, file transfer, messaging and other collaboration capabilities to Eclipse apps. But ECF allows more than just integrating clients into your RCP app. With its support for Eclipse's Hyperlink Detector, you can now embed IM links to XMPP or Yahoo! URLs, giving teammates an instant way to instant-message you.

ECF project lead Scott Lewis pointed me to another interesting application for ECF. Take a look.

There's an ECF Web seminar scheduled for Tuesday, July 31, at 11:00am ET (8:00am PT). The one-hour seminar will introduce you to the framework and how to use it to add communications functions to your plug-ins, how to customize existing applications for your team's collaboration needs, and the use of ECF for RCP- and Equinox-based apps.

Don't miss it!

What more can we do? SEND FEEDBACK

-Ed

Upcoming Events

Web Seminars

July 25
Intro to Eclipse Equinox and OSGi
9:00am PT, 12:00pm ET

July 31
ECF: Building Communications into Applications and Tools
8:00am PT, 11:00am ET

Conferences

OSCON
July 25–27
Oregon Convention Center
Portland, OR
conferences.oreillynet.com/os2007

ECOOP
July 30–August 3
Technical University Berlin
Berlin, Germany
ecoop07.swt.cs.tu-berlin.de

LinuxWorld
August 6–9
Moscone Center North
San Francisco
www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12SFO06A

EclipseWorld
Nov. 6–8
Hyatt Regency Reston
Reston, VA
www.eclipseworld.net

  SEND FEEDBACK

News

  Actuate Makes BIRT More Suite

Actuate, a leader of the BIRT project and maker of performance, reporting and business intelligence tools, has unveiled Performancesoft BI, a BIRT-based reporting tool that it will bundle with its Performancesoft Suite.

The initial Performancesoft BI release will include a set of report designers, interactive viewers and a star schema data-mart. According to the company, the new product simplifies analysis and distribution of application-performance information delivered by other modules of the suite through a series of interactive reports that can be customized for a company's own specific applications.

With performance metrics presented in so-called scorecards, Performancesoft BI reports provide a quick overview and allow users to drill down to the transaction level for diagnosis and control. Performance reports also can include data from ERP, CRM and other enterprise systems.

  SEND FEEDBACK

Register now for EclipseWorld to maximize your savings. The eXtreme Early Bird Discount expires this Friday, July 20. Choose from over 70 classes and tutorials to learn to build better software using Eclipse. Don't miss your chance to get the most savings.

Register today to save up to $500!

Nov. 6–8 | Hyatt Regency Reston
Reston, VA

Performance and scalability testing of business applications is typically conducted by testing experts late in the development cycle. For services and SOA, that needs to change. Without addressing common barriers to improved performance testing, services and consuming applications will fail to meet required service levels and user expectations. By aligning performance testing practices with the goals of the business, SOA projects can avoid common performance problems and realize their potential. Learn more with this white paper from Mindreef.

Discover the best software practices, gain an in-depth understanding of the products and services of leading software vendors, and educate yourself on a variety of topics directly related to your industry with these software resources:

Software Licensing Protection: Macrovision
Agile Project Management Solution: Rally
Improve Test Productivity and Product Quality: TechExcel

Learn the latest in software testing at the Software Test & Performance Conference. More than 80 classes and tutorials cover the hottest, most effective best practices in software testing. Discover the best ways to improve the quality of your software, network with hundreds of colleagues and turbocharge the performance of your deployed applications.

Register now to save up to $350! Last year's conference sold out!

Oct. 2–4 | Hyatt Regency Cambridge
Boston, MA

Subscribe Now!

Eclipse-a-Palooza

  It's mid-July: time for open-air concerts, barbeques and long, relaxing days at your local beaches and parks. So to help you pass the time, this week's Eclipse-a-Palooza brings you selections from Amazon for your summer reading list.

» Eclipse: Building Commercial-Quality Plug-ins, the definitive work by Eric Clayberg and Dan Rubel.
   If you haven't read this one yet, it should be at the top of your list.

» Eclipse Rich Client Platform: Designing, Coding, and Packaging Java Applications by Jeff McAffer
   and Jean-Michael Lemieux

» The Definitive Guide to SWT and JFACE by Robert Harris and Rob Warner

» SWT/JFace in Action: GUI Design with Eclipse 3.0 by Matthew Scarpino, Stephen Holder, Stanford Ng
   and Laurent Mihalkovic

» Professional Java Native Interfaces with SWT/JFace by Jackwind Li Guojie Now in paperback.

» Professional Eclipse 3 for Java Developers by Berthold Daum. Also now in paperback.

» Eclipse Distilled by David Carlson

» Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse, (2nd edition, paperback) by Jim D'Anjou, Scott Fairbrother,
   Dan Kehn
, John Kellerman, Pat McCarthy

» Eclipse by Steve Holzner

  SEND FEEDBACK

EPICenter

An update on recent activities at Eclipse Plug-in Central.

Bold type denotes commercial products.

Last 24 hours

Downloads

Subversive - SVN client

254

MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

180

Maveniser

132

WindowBuilder Pro - SWT/Swing/GWT Designer

93

eUML2 free edition

93

EclipseME

79

AmaterasUML

62

Jigloo SWT/Swing GUI Builder

59

EclipseUML Free Edition

56

Agile Enterprise Architecture

53

Sysdeo Tomcat Launcher Plugin

51

Eclipse SQL Explorer

51

AppPerfect Unit Tester

48

Hibernate Tools

41

GWT Designer

40

Current Month

Downloads

MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

6,344

eUML2 free edition

2,529

WindowBuilder Pro - SWT/Swing/GWT Designer

1,844

Mylyn

1,292

Eclipse SQL Explorer

1,100

Jigloo SWT/Swing GUI Builder

1,050

GWT Designer

1,004

Subversive - SVN client

989

Topcased UML Editor

985

PyDev - Python Development Environment for Ec...

901

AmaterasUML

830

CDT for Windows

819

EclipseUML Free Edition

760

Sysdeo Tomcat Launcher Plugin

714

Relo - Relationship based Exploration

632

Stats as of 3:00 pm, EDT Tuesday, July 17.

Plug-in Post Office
New or updated plug-ins posted in the last week or two.

Spket IDE 1.6 – Toolkit for _javascript_, XUL/XBL, Laszlo, SVG, Silverlight and Yahoo! Widget development updated for Eclipse 3.3 (Europa); supports YUI, jQuery library, other enhancements.

APT Editor 1.0.5 – Update to plug-in for Almost Plain Test (APT) format for documentation writing, now with support for CSS, prefs page and fixes to Linux preview bug.

Flexess Security Modeler 0.9.2 – Extensible security framework for Java allows separation of security logic from app logic. BETA

AppPerfect Unit Tester 9.0 – Automatic unit test code generator helps maximize coverage.

AppPerfect Functional/Load Tester 9.0 – Browser-based recorder for functional testing; supports HTTP and JDBC for load testing.

AppPerfect Code Analyzer 9.0 – Helps with review of Java code and enforcing good development practices.

Subversive SVN Client 1.1.3 – Updated specifically for Eclipse 3.2 (Calisto), with features supported therein.

gted 0.6.2 – Update to editor for gettext po files and plug-in implementation of gettext tools fixes feedb problems.

  SEND FEEDBACK

Tips

  How to Unleash the Magic of Wizards
  By Dwight Deugo

Previously I discussed how to build preference pages in Eclipse. Preference pages are used to gather and save user preferences regarding the user's workspace.

Wizards are another beast entirely. Wizards are generally thought of as a series of dialogs that guide the user through a process. But unlike most modern user interface methods, "the user is forced to perform the task in a specific sequence," according to the Wikipedia definition.

Wizards are most useful for helping users get through complex or infrequent tasks "where the user is unfamiliar with the steps involved," says Wikipedia.

In terms of Eclipse, a wizard is a JFace element that leads a user through a sequence of wizard pages. The user is forced to perform a task in a specific sequence, but can go backward and forward through the sequence, making it easier to perform the task.

In some instances, the user can short-circuit the entire sequence and just finish the task when enough information has been provided. In this article, and a few more to come, I'll describe how to launch and build your own Eclipse wizards, and what and what not to do with them in the process.

Let's begin by looking how to use a wizard that we'll ultimately create. Below is a code snippet of how you can ideally open a wizard and get the information back from it after the user has completed it.

import org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog;

public class SampleView extends ViewPart {
            private String openWizard(String model) {
                        WizardExample wizard = new WizardExample(model);
                        WizardDialog dialog = new WizardDialog(getSite().getShell(), wizard);
                        dialog.create();
                        dialog.getShell().setSize( Math.max(300, dialog.getShell().getSize().x), 200);
                        dialog.setTitleImage(Activator.getImageDescriptor("icons/sample.gif").createImage());
                        dialog.open();
                        if (dialog.getReturnCode() == WizardDialog.OK)
                                    return model;
                        else
                                    return null;
            }
}

The first thing the method does is create the specific wizard. It then wraps it in an org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog. In the example, the specific wizard—which we'll build in the next article—is the class WizardExample.

Note how I pass a model object into the wizard and get it back after the wizard has closed. In general, this is a good idea. A wizard and the corresponding wizards pages will operate on an object that you should initialize and get back after the modifications have been done.

When I open the wizard, I pass the model object in, and if the wizard closes correctly (by the user hitting the Finish button), I return the model object.

Another approach is to pass an object in, which is cloned by the wizard. Then send a message to the wizard after it closes successfully to get the cloned model object back.

Each approaches has its advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the former, because if I want the wizard to work with a clone, then I pass it a clone when I create the wizard. The wizard shouldn't care if it's working with a clone of a model object or the real one. It should just care about taking the information from the model, presenting it to the user, and updating the model when the user makes modifications to it as a result of interacting with the wizard pages.

So when working with a wizard, pass a model object to it—in this example, it's just a String—and have the wizard and corresponding wizard pages operate on the model. When the wizard closes successfully, return the model, which will contain the information the user has provided.

Next time, we'll look at how to create a wizard with wizard pages to retrieve user information.

  WAS THIS TIP HELPFUL?

About EclipseSource

EclipseSource is published by BZ Media LLC, Huntington, New York.

Editor: Edward J. Correia
HTML/Web Producer: Nicole Schnatz
Publisher: Ted Bahr
Editorial Director: Alan Zeichick

EclipseSource is published on alternating Wednesdays and contains the latest Eclipse-related news,
analysis and product announcements, as well as developer tips and techniques written by
respected industry experts. EclipseSource is designed specifically
for enterprise developers using Eclipse technologies.

Discontinue EclipseSource

KEEP GETTING THIS NEWSLETTER:
For uninterrupted delivery, add news@xxxxxxxxxxx
to your address book or anti-spam whitelist.

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS:
subscribing or unsubscribing, please contact our
customer service department at service@xxxxxxxxxxx

CONTACT US:
To submit a news idea for consideration, or if you have questions,
comments or Feedback about an item covered in EclipseSource,
contact us at feedback@xxxxxxxxxxx

ADVERTISING:
Interested in reaching decision makers and technologists in the Eclipse market?
For more information, please contact our
advertising department at sales@xxxxxxxxxxx

AFFILIATIONS:
EclipseSource is published by BZ Media LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.
EclipseSource may be redistributed only in unedited form and with written permission
from BZ Media. BZ Media is an associate member of the Eclipse Foundation.

Copyright 2007, BZ Media LLC
www.bzmedia.com

Back to the top