Re: [ecf-dev] Refactoring/Remodelling/Renaming Call API

Just to let everyone know...these changes have now been made (both the call API changes and the ones by Remy).  The project set files have been updated and the features/build files have been updated.

Scott

Scott Lewis wrote:
Hi Folks,

After a call/discussion with Roland and Moritz Post (Google SOC student working on Jingle provider for call API) we decided to implement Roland's suggested plugin/package name change as described below.

I just finished this changeover.

Old Plugin Name                     New Plugin Name
org.eclipse.ecf.call                     org.eclipse.ecf.telephony.call
org.eclipse.ecf.call.ui                  org.eclipse.ecf.telephony.call.ui

The easiest thing to do would be to

1) Delete ECF projects from workspace
2) Use the project set files (which have been updated) to reload all the latest of the relevant projects:

anonymous:  http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/ecf-anonymous.psf
committers:  http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/ecf-committer.psf

OR you can

1) delete just org.eclipse.ecf.call and org.eclipse.ecf.call.ui projects.
2) load in org.eclipse.ecf.telephony.call and org.eclipse.ecf.telephony.call.ui projects (they are in /cvsroot/technology/org.eclipse.ecf/plugins)
3) do CVS update to HEAD all ECF projects

Finally, Remy is going to make a similar changeover of another plugin (MSN protocol impl) this evening (Wed) and tomorrow (Thurs), so this will happen again over next couple of days.  Sorry about that.  We will keep the project set files above current with the necessary plugins.

Scott

Roland N. Fru wrote:

Hi,

I started refactoring/remodelling the call API today and I would like to get your opinions with respect to an issue that has met some criticism from the community in the past.

The umbrella term “”Call API” seems inappropriate so I suggest we rename it to “Telephony API”. There are several reasons to support the renaming:

  1. “Call API” in certain contexts suggests some type of Invocation API which is clearly not the case with the ECF Call API.
  2. “Call” by definition limits the API capabilities solely to telephone CALLing although I can imagine the API handling other aspects within the telephony domain e.g. phone status, callcenter API, conferencing API etc. These are certainly not within the short term goals of the API, but the telephony namespace will “keep more doors open”.
  3. APIs similar to ours e.g. JTAPI, TAPI have traditionally carried the umbrella term “Telephony” and a design along the same lines will favor a suitable learning curve both for the users as well as for the implementers of the API.

I look forward to you dropping your thoughts on this. In case of positive feedback, I will rename the packages from “org.eclipse.ecf.*” to “org.eclipse.ecf.telephony.*”. e.g. the “org.eclipse.ecf.call” package will become the “org.eclipse.ecf.telephony.call” package.

Regards,

Roland.