[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [ecf-dev] Refactoring/Remodelling/Renaming Call API
- From: Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 17:34:56 -0500
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
+1, this seems great especially with the smack 3.0 work
Chris Aniszczyk | IBM Lotus | Eclipse Committer | http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com | +1 860 839 2465
"Roland N. Fru" ---04/01/2007 10:26:43 AM---Hi,
"Roland N. Fru" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/01/2007 10:26 AM
[ecf-dev] Refactoring/Remodelling/Renaming Call API
I started refactoring/remodelling the call API today and I would like to get your opinions with respect to an issue that has met some criticism from the community in the past.
The umbrella term ââCall APIâ seems inappropriate so I suggest we rename it to âTelephony APIâ. There are several reasons to support the renaming:
1. âCall APIâ in certain contexts suggests some type of Invocation API which is clearly not the case with the ECF Call API.
2. âCallâ by definition limits the API capabilities solely to telephone CALLing although I can imagine the API handling other aspects within the telephony domain e.g. phone status, callcenter API, conferencing API etc. These are certainly not within the short term goals of the API, but the telephony namespace will âkeep more doors openâ.
3. APIs similar to ours e.g. JTAPI, TAPI have traditionally carried the umbrella term âTelephonyâ and a design along the same lines will favor a suitable learning curve both for the users as well as for the implementers of the API.
I look forward to you dropping your thoughts on this. In case of positive feedback, I will rename the packages from âorg.eclipse.ecf.*â to âorg.eclipse.ecf.telephony.*â. e.g. the âorg.eclipse.ecf.callâ package will become the âorg.eclipse.ecf.telephony.callâ package.
ecf-dev mailing list