From: Remy Suen <remy.suen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 7, 2007 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [ecf-dev] MSN coming soon to an embedded device near you...
To: Ken Gilmer <kgilmer@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ken,

On 1/6/07, Ken Gilmer <kgilmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Out of curiosity, why can eRCP apps only be developed in windows?

Good question. If you are not using any UI components, technically, I
do not believe that this should be a problem.

However, once you start using eSWT, development is limited to the
Windows platform. eSWT contains a subset of the APIs offered in SWT in
addition to some mobile widgets that are exclusive to mobile devices
(similar to how J2ME is a subset of J2SE but has its own "mobile
devices API" like the microedition IO classes).

I refer you back to [1] from a long time ago. I just checked out the
QTe port (from CVS) but I do not appear to be find those special
mobile widgets (well, that and there's also the fact that I have build
path errors in Eclipse for whatever reasons, it's missing source
folders, of all things). Even if it did, at the end of the day, no
"official packages" exists for non-Windows OSes [2] at the moment.

[1] - http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.ecf/msg00500.html

[2] - http://www.eclipse.org/ercp/downloads-page.html

Regards,
Rem