Re: [ecf-dev] Presence API review

Hi Remy/all,

Remy Suen wrote:
Hi Scott and everyone,

On 12/11/06, Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes.  In order to move this forward, I've created a new plugin:
org.eclipse.ecf.presence.ui.

Is this the right convention? I'd probably use
org.eclipse.ecf.ui.presence myself. I know that Team's convention is
org.eclipse.team.cvs.ui, but a provider isn't really the same as an
API.

True. What I was actually modeling after was org.eclipse.team.ui...which exposes the ui interfaces and classes specifically for integration with the team ui. I was thinking that this plugin (org.eclipse.ecf.presence.ui) would expose the presence-specific UI API...e.g. interfaces, adapters, base classes, shared content providers, that allow the shared data structures (in this case roster, chats, etc). to be connected to UI/view/action framework in RCP and/or Eclipse plugin code.

So I think I'll leave it named org.eclipse.ecf.presence.ui for the time being. If it gets uncomfortable we'll move/change name.

This new plugin is initially empty, and I would like us to migrate the RosterView (perhaps with new name) over to it after refactoring to make simpler, add persistence of roster contents, etc. One design thought...I'm thinking that the way to approach the roster view is to do something very much like what is done in the RCP book to introduce Smack into the Hyperbola UI (see chapter 10.3)...i.e. to use IWorkbenchAdapter to allow *any* hierarchical model (e.g. one that is modified asynchronously via xmpp-or-other communication with server) to be used with a single RosterView class (and/or hierarchy). This would allow the RosterView code itself to easily be reused with different protocol providers...and simplify the job of creating a roster to one of customizing the update behavior of the content and label providers. Further, if the presence protocol is org.eclipse.ecf.presence...then new providers can be plugged in and have their UI and content provider already done (they can just use the one in org.eclipse.ecf.presence.ui...not there yet but coming soon)...which would be a very nice thing. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Anyway, my $0.02. Please let me know what you think. Thanks to Ken for putting me on this path.

Scott

Back to the top