Re: [ecf-dev] authentication and file transfer API

The solution highlighted in 1 seems to be fine with me.

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/07/2006 12:22 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Communication Framework \(ECF\) developer mailing list."        <ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
[ecf-dev] authentication and file transfer API

Hi Folks,

As of last night, I have the ECF file transfer API provider implemented
using apache httpclient 3.0.1.  For those that want to run it/try it out
see the test code in org.eclipse.ecf.test.filetransfer,
FileTransferRetrieveTest Junit plugin test.  I will be doing more test
and example code soon.  If you can write some test code and contribute
please do so.

But now I would like to introduce http authentication and proxy
support.  The question is, what sort of interface do we want to expose
through the file transfer API for authentication and proxy support?
Another way to put this is...what sort of interface is desired?

Taking just authentication for the moment...I'll address proxy support
in another email.

I've thought of a couple of ways to expose authentication callbacks via
the ECF container and filetransfer API:

1) IContainer.connect(ID,IConnectContext) already supports
authentication callbacks via the IConnectContext parameter.  We could
simply require that callers use this existing IConnectContext callback
interface prior to the actual file retrieve request for file transfers
that require authentication.
2) Add new API/interface(s) for setting the authentication info on
IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter
3) Use the options (3rd) parameter in
IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter.sendRetrieveRequest
4) Expose some other interface that I haven't thought of

At the moment, I'm inclined to suggest/use 1, as it's already a generic
authentication callback interface (essentially the same as JAAS
authentication).  This would mean that the file transfer provider
implementations would have to store the IConnectContext callbacks passed
in via IContainer.connect(), and then use them appropriately when the
sendRetrieveRequest is actually made.

Note that if we go this route (using the IConnectContext for
authentication for both connection-oriented AND connectionless types of
communication), that this can/could be used for authentication for
any/all extension interfaces (file transfer, bb api, as well as
presence, others).

So do people have opinions/views on this?

Thanks,

Scott