Re: [ecf-dev] BBAPI source code repository.

Hi Erkki,

Erkki Lindpere wrote:
Hmm... I just checked out the whole project-set and I get a lot of
errors that classes in:
org.eclipse.ecf.core.util are not resolved. I think this is exactly
because two bundles are exporting the same package and Import-Package
will resolve to only one of them I think (I'm using 3.3M3 if that
makes a difference).

I just want to make sure...I just loaded in the attached project set file (in 3.3M3) and it loaded in and everything compiled just fine.

But you are talking about other plugin references using Import-Package rather than Require-Bundle for org.eclipse.ecf.core.util...right?

I suppose the answer to this case is to use Require-Bundle for org.eclipse.ecf, and that does the magic about including all referred classes in org.eclipse.ecf.core.util.

So perhaps it's not a good idea to use Import-Package everywhere? It
also makes it a pain when packages change and I think dependency
management becomes too granular. I've personally used Import-Package
when declaring dependencies on external libraries or on packages that
might be bundled differently depending on situation. Or when trying to
keep dependencies to a minimum. But when I know very well which bundle
should provide the packages, I usually use Require-Bundle. But I know
Peter Kriens from OSGi for example doesn't like Require-Bundle at all.

Maybe we could ask for advice from the Equinox team?

I think that's a good idea. Send to equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx or to newsgroup. If you could copy me that would be great.

RE: Peter Kriens...you are proabably referring to this: http://www.osgi.org/blog/2006/04/misconceptions-about-osgi-headers.html

Thanks Erkki,

Scott