Re: [ecf-dev] BBAPI refactoring

HI Erkki,

Erkki Lindpere wrote:
> 2) if exporting packages with x-internal:=true, what do I do about
> warnings in the other bundles that use those packages?

I don't think you should use x-internal:=true for bb api packages/code.

Hmm...  the Provisional API Guidelines say:

"Bundle manifest

All API packages should be exported unconditionally by the bundle
manifest. If internal packages are exported, they should be marked
x-internal."

So this seems to leave the option that internal packages are not
exported at all. But I need to export some internal packages because
they are meant for internal use by the other BBAPI bundles.

OK...I didn't realize you had other BBAPI bundles that needed access to internal packages. So yes, for these packages, (internal but needed by other bbapi bundles) x-internal:=true is appropriate.

I've tried to avoid situations where it's necessary to export internal packages (i.e. for use across bundles). I'm not sure why the eclipse project uses the convention below (putting all package in their manifest.mf files). I'll post a question to equinox-dev.

Scott

Also,
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Export-Package says that :

"The eclipse project uses the following convention for the
Export-Package manifest attribute:

   * ALL Eclipse SDK plugins must list ALL of their packages in their
MANIFEST.MF files.
   * API or not. If you have a package on your plugin's classpath, it
must be listed."

Of course, this is only seems to be for the Eclipse SDK. But the PDE
actually has a tool called "Organize manifest" that automatically adds
x-internal by default.