Re: [ecf-dev] Two issues I feel that needs a healthy discussion over before ECF 1.0...

Hi Pascal,

Pascal Rapicault wrote:

Hi all,

disclaimer: I've never used ECF in depth.

I may sound a bit old-school and boring, but making something API is a commitment and has a strong implication on how things can then evolve. Why am I saying that? Because when I quickly looked through the code, I only found one internal package, all the others are API, is this really expected?

Which plugins/bundles are you referring to?  For ECF core and the API extension plugins (e.g. fileshare, presence, datashare, etc) most of the interfaces and classes are intended to be external packages.  For the ecf providers (impls bundles) the story is different (much more internal only).

I also noticed that the filetransfer package is located in a bundle named fileshare and it requires the whole org.eclipse.ecf bundle whereas it should be located in a bundle of its own (since there is no dependency between the fileshare package and the filetransfer one) and it only uses 7 classes of o.e.ecf.
In short make sure each functionality is split appropriately to maximize reusability without pulling the whole world and in general try to use the smallest EE possible.
Yes, filetransfer should/will eventually be in a separate bundle (rather than in fileshare).  Much of the work on filetransfer was just done, and hasn't had the chance to be moved.

Also find attached an experimental org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer bundle. It currently hold a copy of 7 classes from o.e.ecf just to show how little from o.e.ecf was being used and the EE is set to 1.3 but it could surely be moved  to something smaller like foundation. Note that this reorganization allowed me to shrink the size of the jars required to use the filetransfer API from 136K (o.e.ecf 122K + o.e.ecf.fileshare 14k) down to 16Ko (one bundle) which definitely makes it more interesting...

Yes...the small size of file transfer is a big advantage...and it isn't dependent upon the (legacy) fileshare.

Thanks Pascal for observations,

Scott

Back to the top