Re: [ecf-dev] Remote service API

Hi Jeff,

Jeff McAffer wrote:

Sounds like fun!  I have not been following the ins and outs of ECF much so please excuse any ignorant questions...

- do you see a path to this being integrated with declarative services and/or Spring and whatever Spring does for remoting?

Perhaps...it's an interesting idea.  I haven't spent enough time with Spring remoting to understand what it's concept of remoting is (transparent or not, etc).

- do you see integrating with/using concurrency constructs like Futures whith remove services?

We could...I almost already did.  ECF already has a class representing a 'future' (called AsynchResult) and I was mentally toying around with using either that or the java.util.concurrent.Future in JRE 1.5 standard (similar to AsynchResult, which is based upon Doug Lea's concurrent package before java.util.concurrent) as one of the methods of IRemoteService invocation (to go along with the methods already there:  synchronous call/return, asynch-with-listener, asych, and proxy).

- can I assume that under the covers you can use any transport to contact the remote service?

Yeah...in fact if the transport implements ISharedObjectContainer then the remote service registry impl is already (mostly) done...since all that remote impl code depends only upon the ISharedObjectContainer api.

- do you know where I can find some spare time to play with all the great things people are creating these days? ;-)

No...I trust that you will tell me if you find out though :).  Thanks for the implicit vote of confidence...I think that this could be a really interesting/useful API if I can finish it, write some example/more test apps, get fully debugged, get some external usage, etc.  Regretfully these days I don't seem to have time to play with...or even finish...the things I'm even (partially) responsible for.  I first need to fix that somehow.

Scott

Back to the top