RE: [ecf-dev] Re: More interfaces on remote OSGI services page

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Scott Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:39 PM
To: Eclipse Communication Framework (ECF) developer mailing list.
Subject: Re: [ecf-dev] Re: More interfaces on remote OSGI services page

Hi Peter/all,

Peter sorry I haven't responded to this thread previously...it's just
lack of my bandwidth.  I was very excited and happy to see that you have

some time for ECF these days.

I think there's I also think there is some similarity between part of
what Peter was proposing in his previous email and the remote OSGI
services stuff.  One of the things that the OSGI services (not remote
services, just plain 'ol OSGI services API) provides is the notion of a
'ServiceReference', which is found, created and resolved by the OSGI
bundle environment (as represented by the BundleContext...e.g.
BundleContext.getServiceReferences(),
BundleContext.getService(ServiceReference), etc.  This notion of a
servicereference is, in several ways, very similar to a 'proxy'...which
could potentially have underneath it the ability to get a handle on a
local reference (e.g. getService(ServiceReference), which turns around
and marshals the method call/params, makes remote call, optionally waits

for/expects response from remote host plugin of ServiceReference (on
remote server or client).

So in one sense, the ServiceReference provides something approaching a
'proxy'...used by the OSGI platform to manage the cross-bundle service
accesses (as well as to provide a means to search for services with meta

info like class, and filter).

This also bears some resemblance, I think, to Peter's "publisher"
notion...that exposes/allows searching/access to either proxies that
have registered themselves with the publisher.  Note there is
flexibility in having proxies that could be 'smart' (i.e. have local
replica of state)...or proxies could just marshal/unmarshal remote
calls/responses.

Hopefully more to come soon...I've got to run now.

Scott