Re: [ecf-dev] Re: More interfaces on remote OSGI services page

Scott, Ken,

I'm afraid I missed the beginning of the last conference call when you probably discussed this topic, so I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the idea of supporting selective replication of certain services (not necessarily as OSGi services) crossed my mind when putting together the shared model/pub-sub example. Initially, I was focusing on simply allowing interested group members to receive model updates from the "publisher", but while working on the implementation I noticed that there's a rather generic part to this scenario. Basically, someone puts out a "service" (to put abstractly) and others may request a replica to be sent over to their local container. What the service does and how it's manifested in the replica is completely application-specific. You can almost think of it in a way as service provisioning -- the replica could act as a proxy to a remote service that is not available locally.

Scott, looking at your wiki page, I think there are a few conceptual similarities in the API, though I know I haven't documented nor finished the pub/sub example. I'll continue working on it as time allows...

--Peter

Back to the top