Re: [ecf-dev] ECF weekly conference calls

Hi Chris,

Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

Hi all, I'm back from the dead :) I transitioned to a new job within Lotus and start this month, my focus will be 100% OSGi Services (Equinox), particuarly looking at the Declarative Services impl first ;)

I second the motion of having some conference calls to keep everyone in touch.

Yes...it's a done deal.  I'll send another email out with date/time phone number for call.

I just gave a presentation today at the Rational Software Development Conference (http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.ecf/tutorials/RSDC%202006/?cvsroot=Technology_Project). There was alot of positive feedback. There was someone in the audience that was really interested in adding shared debugging support, I pointed him to this mailing list so hopefully he'll swing by ;)

Excellent!!  Shared debugging support would be *great*.   Several of us have been talking and thinking about the possibilities here for some time.  Also, there's a Google Summer of Code Project:  "A Distributed Object Application Debugger for the Eclipse Platform"  see http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code_2006.  Not quite the same idea, but related nonetheless.

Also, some of you may be interested in what I did on a 90 minute plane ride. So, Wayne Beaton has this new RCP application (http://wbeaton.blogspot.com/2006/06/eclipse-sudoku.html) which is a Sudoku RCP app. On my way over to the conference, I decided to see if I could "ECF-enable" (by ECF enable, I mean I hacked in datashare usage to allow for simple multiplayer sudoku, there are threading issues though, probably the worst code I produced in a while, etc etc...) this application (http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com/2006/06/sudoku-on-plane.html) before my laptop battery died on the plane. It turns out I was moderately successful, but the point being, I think if someone actually had sometime to add in better UI for the ECF portion (add a little UI to connect to a server, show who else is willing to do multiplayer sudoku... etc...). I think this would make a great demo for what ECF can do for RCP :) Plus, games are fun.

Agreed.  This Sudoku impl with ECF looks really cool.  Any chance to get things checked into cvs?  We can/will distribute as an example app/another feature.

Also, as a reminder. If people have spare cycles, the Summer of Code students are usually on IRC (irc://irc.freenode.net/#eclipse-soc). Any help they can get would be great. Plus, the more ECF people on IRC, the better (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/IRC)

I'll be on the #eclipse-soc channel much more from here on out.  I setup an ECF autologin for that IRC channel.

Hope all is well for everyone.

You too Chris.  Thanks and congrats on the Rational conference presentation, the new tutorial work, and the cool Sudoku hacking.   Particularly with the recent advances in shared editing by Ken, your work, and the exciting Google SOC projects, I think ECF is getting somewhere (where that is I'm not completely sure, but it feels good/right anyway  :).

Best Regards,

Scott

Back to the top