Re: [e4-dev] Sandbox for Eclipse proposal as E4 sub-project

I agree fully, in principle that is ;)

Whatever can be done in Platform, should be done in Platform so it benefits everyone directly.

Picking up the example of the spell checker, I guess bringing the default engine implementation and dictionary into platform.text would be a no-brainer (actually, I forgot about the platform.text/jdt relationship here when picking that example - it's been a bit since I looked into it and only remembered that JDT had the implementation I needed).

What's going to be interesting is how to deal with cases where that's not a given - i.e. where we don't know the best way yet and have to try out a few things, or where the change is more controversial and first has to prove itself. I think hosting intermediary code, staging private builds of some Platform or other external bundles based on Gerrit changes (or even doing temporary forks) can play a role there.

Back to the top