[e4-dev] M2 is next week and some experiences with Android Studio

Dear friends of Eclipse Platform UI and e4,

Platform UI:

Next week is milestone week, so anything cool and urgent you want to
see in M2 should be closed in the next days. We are also relatively
light on N&N entries, so if you have developed something cool, please
add it there.

But maybe M2 was our cleanup milestone, we did some great clean-up
work (compatibility, SWT TreeTable, Boolean.valueOf and others) which
removed lots of garbage from our code.

I think it is great that more committers are getting active with
Gerrit reviews, I especially noticed that Dirk was super active with
reviews. Thanks to everyone who got involved with Gerrit reviews.

Android Studio:

On a completely unrelated note, I'm doing Android work this week and
I'm surprised in which bad condition Android Studio is.

Lots of rendering issues and crashes. Hard for me to say whats causing
that, but from where I'm looking we are way more stable and faster
compare to it. It feel similar bad as the Eclipse Mars on SWT GTK3.

Also the UI seem to show blocking dialogs all the time, I start loving
Eclipse even more for our Jobs framework which currently gets
improvements from Stefan and Sergey. Thanks for that work, I can tell
first hand that this makes a difference if it is not there / used.

What is really cool in Android Studio is its ability to increase the
editor font size easily, its full screen mode and its auto-save
feature. We already have bugs for these features targeted for 4.6 and
I'm looking forward to offer the nice features of AS without the very
annoying bugs of it.

Best regards, Lars

P.S. Next week I'm planning to work full time on platform, so I hope
to get more done.

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058