[e4-dev] Commit rights for e4 git repositores

Hello everyone,

I am a committer and component lead for JDT Core and would like to get commit rights for the e4 repositories. Here's what I am specifically looking to do:

1. Take out all the nice JDT "tooling" features from eclipse.jdt.ui (decouple from the UI elements) and either put it in a new bundle or move it to jdt.core.
2. Expose these "Tooling" features via APIs, so interested clients can consume them outside the realm of an IDE.

To provide some background, the motivation comes from cloud based tools, such as Orion, Flux etc, that would like to provide Java tooling  capabilities. One of the goals of Flux is to be able to host the JDT service in a headless way and broker the messages between this JDT service and Orion Editor. Unfortunately, as of today, only jdt.core can be hosted headlessly, but most of the nice editor features reside in jdt.ui, which are entangled with eclipse UI components. This basically means that, the two things I mentioned above should happen. Of course, we understand the seriousness and complexity of the effort  and initially would like to keep the work to the e4 repositories and decide the future course for action at a later point.

With that, I would like to request for commit rights for eclipse.jdt.core (which already has a repo under e4) and eclipse.jdt.ui (yet to be created).

Thanks,
Jay

Back to the top