Re: [e4-dev] Logger-API useage in Eclipse codebase

On 17.08.2014 09:17, Marcel Bruch wrote:
There is no obvious solution to this. While (i) may be solved by creating a your own LoggerFactory and Logger implementation (which delegates to, say, Logback but adds additional information like the plugin id to a logging event), I see no obvious solution to offer unique error codes for each logging message. Maybe someone else has achieved something similar before? FWIW, I thought about using Markers for error codes, but they are too limited and not very handy to use for that purpose.

For our eclipse RCPs we use a logger that allows to add keywords to a message. So a log entry basically consists of a messge, a timestamp and a string[] of keywords. Predefined keywords exist for ERROR, WARNING, FINE, FINER, ... whatever granularity you want. Additionally you could set your plugin-id as additional keyword or things like "UI", "JDT", "Build"...

We further use a view to display, highlight and filter messages upon those keywords.

regards
Christian

Back to the top