Re: [e4-dev] e4 tools cleanup

I was not familiar with the new translation mechanism.  Would we want to convert the entire project to this system?  If so, and other projects would benefit, I would most likely spend my efforts writing tooling to convert instead of just manually cleaning up.  Any ideas on how does the rest of the community feels about this approach?

Steven Spungin

From: "Lars Vogel" <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:06:37 AM
Subject: Re: [e4-dev] e4 tools cleanup

Hi Steven,

we should use the new translation mechanism introduced in Eclipse Luna which is based on Pojos. This approach allows you to keep all translation files in the OSGI-INF/i18n folder.

Are you familiar with this development? If not I write something up and send it to you.

Best regards, Lars

I am planning doing a sweep through e4 tools and adding all nls strings to property files this weekend, unless anybody has objections to many files being changed at this time.

I was going to do this several months ago, but the tooling(externalize string wizard) was giving me issues when trying to put the strings into a different package using the new eclipse approach.  So instead, I wrote a patch that would allow us to do so.  https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/26196/. Bug 434261 - [nls tooling] Allow selection of property file not in source folder.  Without this patch, either each string needs to be entered into the java and properties file manually, or the translation files need to be in the same package as the source.  This would result in many pairs of translation files.

Does anybody object to a pair of translation files in each package?  Having multiple files does have the advantage of minimizing merge conflicts.

Steven Spungin