Re: [e4-dev] Suggested Model adjustments - Add PerspectiveDescriptors to the model?

Hi Lars,

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

In the current runtime application model of the IDE, we create perspectives based on the perspectives which were opened by the user or as default perspective.

I think the current model makes it difficult to migrate the existing extension point based definition of perspectives to the application model.

We could use model snippets (for perspectives) to model this, but I think we should go for the same route as for ViewDescriptors or Toolbar and Menu contributions.

I don't agree.  We already have an implementation that saves perspectives as snippets.  Why wouldn't you enhance that?

The MPartDescriptors that in the model are really specializations of fragments because we needed very specific behaviour and didn't have the support for applying fragments in post-model-processing.  The toolbar and menu contributions are worse, we just didn't have another way to re-generate fragments on every "matching" creation (like adding a new MTrimmedWindow to the model should re-apply all relevant menu contributions, except we didn't have the proper fragment story and so it's done with hooks during rendering/post rendering).

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster