Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse E4 Logger based Slf4j binding

Hi Ashwin.

If I understand correctly, you’re seeking to write an SLF4j backend that will shunt all messages from the different SLF4j facades through an appropriate E4 logger?

The E4 Logger is itself a facade.  There’s an ILoggerProvider which is intended to act like the SLF4j LoggerFactory: provide a logger for a particular class.  The app can provide a different ILoggerProvider than the DefaultLoggerProvider that is installed by default, that just logs using the Equinox/OSGi logger.

My 2¢: I think you should reconsider your approach.  Instead of shunting to the E4 Logger, use SLF4j (SLF4j’s markers and MDC are very powerful) and use one of the existing SLF4j backends.  Provide your own ILoggerProvider that just wraps the SLF4j Logger.  With Logback or Log4j, you can write an appender that can send log messages back to the Equinox FrameworkLog if it’s important to have messages go through the Eclipse logging mechanism (i.e., to show up in the Error Log view).

Brian.