Re: [e4-dev] MWizard and MDialog

https://github.com/E4Examples/mdialog01/blob/master/mdialog01/src/mdialog01/handlers/OpenHandler.java

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Eric Moffatt <emoffatt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Olivier, I'll put my comments in context below...in green...

Onwards,
Eric

Inactive hide details for Olivier Prouvost ---04/01/2014 02:55:48 AM---If we analyze how E3 ui extension points have been migraOlivier Prouvost ---04/01/2014 02:55:48 AM---If we analyze how E3 ui extension points have been migrated to the application model, it could be lo

Olivier Prouvost <olivier.prouvost@xxxxxxxxxxx>

04/01/2014 02:55 AM

Re: [e4-dev] MWizard and MDialog

    Sent by:

e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

If we analyze how E3 ui extension points have been migrated to the application model, it could be logical to find some concepts in the application model. Wizards, preferences or properties could be defined there. There is a hierarchy of object and a generic dialog that can display these objects. Today, in E4 there is no way to display these information unless writing boring code (always the same for all applications).

In general most dialogs are indeed sets of 'boring' code (mostly around setting up the widget layout/listeners...). The reason for having the model elements is to allow hooking them into the IEclipseContext hierarchy more easily.

So, having specific dialogs in the model seems to be a good idea, but not generic ‘dialog’ as it is done today… A general dialog asking confirmation or some information can be opened easily in an handler, and there is no objects hierarchy to manage. This is not its place in model. I tried the new implementation with a dialog and a wizard and everything has been opened at startup ! Absolutely useless.

My suspicion is that you may have left the various MDialog's 'toBeRendered' state as 'true'. The idea is that you'd leave the TBR as false until you want the dialog to appear then change it to 'true' to have the rendering engine process it. In order to be useful it's likely that each MDialog instance would have its *own* renderer so that it gets filled in correctly.

The other solution could be to stop to change application model every month and to keep the old extension point mechanism which is quiet powerful. For the moment I manage pure E4 preferences using a plugin which defines a generic handler to open the dialog, and an extension point similar to the definition in E3. This plugin is available on my github  and I will probably propose to include it in E4 if there are no other solutions proposed to manage this concept. In this case, properties and wizards could be managed in the same way…

Of course this plugin manage only preferences using JFace and not javafx… and it is not the ‘good’ solution.

What is your opinion about it ?