Re: [e4-dev] Setting up an SDK for Luna development

Guys,

It would be interesting to get feedback on using https://wiki.eclipse.org/Setup-Eclipse.  There is currently a project I've configured that sets up the entire source for the platform SDK.  No doubt that's a little over aggressive, but a great proof of concept and a basis for producing smaller subsets for individual platform projects that would include the tests for those projects.   If someone configured an E4.setup, there would be no need for documentation (which always gets out of date) and no need for long manual recipes that take hours to execute and almost inevitably result in a workspace with errors, all of which lead to very few willing to take the time and effert, with the end result that you end up with few high quality contributions for your project.  One good starting point for authoring your own *.setup is to install the Development Environment Setup feature from https://hudson.eclipse.org/cdo/job/emf-cdo-integration/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/ in an IDE you already have configured manually and using the wizards to create an initial configuration; you can test launch the installer from that IDE...

Another approach is to install the CDO Release Engineering project using the installer.  The resulting IDE has the entire source code for the tool itself.  It also contains all the project's we've manually configured so you have a significant number of highly-functional working examples as a starting point.

Note that Eike is working on an improved replacement for the Buckminster-based materialization task.  The current Buckminster task works well, except that it doesn't take package imports into account so you end up needing to specify additional root component IDs to ensure the appropriate bundles are materialized in the target platform.  You'll see that in the current *.setup examples.

The bottom line is that we should see an end to these horrible recipe wiki pages that are always out of date because we should not expect our contributors to work like monkeys just to reach the starting line for an initial contribution.  Our contributors have better things to do with their time, i.e., making actual contributions.  If we treat them like monkeys we should expect a lot of hooting and food throwing.

If anyone needs help, we're more than happy to provide it. It's high time for the shoe maker to make shoes for his children.

Regards,
Ed