Re: [e4-dev] Remaining e4 work for Luna

Wim, the idea for the 'e4view' addition to the traditional org.eclipse.ui.views extension point wasn't aimed at folks primarily focused on e4 development, it was an attempt to provide a way for the legacy 3.x developers to be introduced to the many advantages of DI-based development. As such the extension still has merit...but...as you say there are a number of holes in the current implementation.

I was hoping to get feedback on this earlier and extend what we'd learned to providing a similar pattern for defining command handlers and perspectives. Right now I think that the best we can do is to somehow mark what we have as 'provisional' and leave the rest of the work for post-Luna.

Eric

Inactive hide details for Wim Jongman ---01/29/2014 05:22:40 AM---The e4view extension point forces the customer to code with tWim Jongman ---01/29/2014 05:22:40 AM---The e4view extension point forces the customer to code with the model manually for menus and toolbar

Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx>

01/29/2014 05:22 AM

Re: [e4-dev] Remaining e4 work for Luna

    Sent by:

e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

The e4view extension point forces the customer to code with the model manually for menus and toolbars instead of getting this from the model. If the model integration in 3x is complete I am leaning towards +1 for removing it (not that I have a say). We should not be afraid to give the early adopters a little bit more work. That is why they are an early adopter right? Especially when they have a better solution (assuming this is available of course).

Not as a hard requirement, but to be really useful in the E3 world, the "pure e4view" should have the following things:

1. The E4 and E3 selection services are not bridged - (would be cool to fix for M6)
2. The "pure e4view" is not a first class citizen in the e4 workbench (quick search??, view menu??, Tom and Paul have given some hints about this, would be cool to fix for M6 as well)
3 .. other things??

Cheers,

Wim

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: _______________________________________________