Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse IDE and Multiple Windows ?

We already have an option on the 'Perspectives' preference page that allows to specify how to open a new view (as fast view or in the perspective). If this option would be improved, so that one could choose between the active perspective (current behavior) and a specific one (e.g. 'master'), then I think that could be enough to solve your problem.

Dani

From:        "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        16.01.2014 18:26
Subject:        Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse IDE and Multiple Windows ?
Sent by:        e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Eric and Tom,

Thanks for your quick responses !

Perhaps it helps if I add a little more background on what we want to do, to limit the scope of the discussion. Because I believe that also from an end user’s point of view, it is not necessarily helpful if everything is possible … there must be a usage paradigm that’s easy to understand.

In our case, the usage paradigm would be that there’s always one Eclipse “Master” WorkbenchWindow. Typically this would host the editors, the debugger, progress view, build console etc… everything you know from a typical Eclipse.

Any additional WBW that we open, would be considered a “slave” and slightly more static: fewer views, fewer menus, perhaps not even a progress view. The goal here is, we want to guide users towards an easy-to-understand workflow rather than yet again allowing them any workflow in the “focused slave” …

The problem that we’ve seen with Perspectives in the past was, you were switched into a perspective for eg Tracing but once you had accidentally brought up the Debug View in that perspective you kept staying in a layout not optimized for that workflow. We want to avoid that moving forward, by offering slave Window(s) focused for a particular workflow while keeping the “master” for most work to be done. For those who don’t want too many Windows around, offering tabbed sheets in the master would be the alternative … one tab per explicit workflow or task.

So … I’m not sure if it getActiveWorkbenchWindow() could be spoofed to always return the master WBW, but something like this is what we really want to accomplish.

Hope you’re getting the idea… I’m happy to help out with any more end-to-end usage thoughts.

Thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect – Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse IDE and Multiple Windows ?

Got it...thanks ! Generally we have to ensure that the 'showView' logic takes place in the WBW that ends up hosting the view rather than the window that the call was issues against (same for editors).

Eric