Re: [e4-dev] MDialog / MWizard will be removed in M5

Thanks Tom, it's a deal; We'll leave the current elements in and check back during M6.

It'd be nice if there were also some other independent use as well to see if we can agree on a common usage pattern....

Eric

Inactive hide details for Tom Schindl ---01/15/2014 02:30:33 AM---On 14.01.14 16:54, Eric Moffatt wrote: > Tom, first thanks foTom Schindl ---01/15/2014 02:30:33 AM---On 14.01.14 16:54, Eric Moffatt wrote: > Tom, first thanks for mentioning the new languages API whic

Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,

01/15/2014 02:30 AM

Re: [e4-dev] MDialog / MWizard will be removed in M5

    Sent by:

e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On 14.01.14 16:54, Eric Moffatt wrote:
> Tom, first thanks for mentioning the new languages API which I'd
> forgotten all about them.
>
> What do you think about the idea of having a derivative model hosted
> under the incubator ? We could then just move the new elements to that
> model for further work and, once they've matured a bit through use we
> could promote them into the main model in the future.

In theory a good idea but this means we need to duplicate their
containers as well - e.g. Window in this case.

> By way of explanation as to why I want to remove them from the main
> model consider the following:
>
> - Once released these elements (in their released state) *are* API and
> must be backwards supported.

Who says that - we can't mark them @noextend @noimplement @noreference -
we'd have to have a way to tell the e4xmi-Editor about that so that it
can warn people.

> - API defined from an Ivory Tower separate from any specific
> implementation *always* needs tweaking (new attributes, refining the
> usage patterns...) so it's been a rule here to not release API that
> isn't actually in use within the framework.

Unfortunately I was not able provide an implementation in my JavaFX
port, others are only screaming yes we need it and but don't do anything
to get this.

Wasn't M6 the API freeze? Can we get approval to at least keep it until
the first half of M6 cycle. I'm in the process to release e(fx)clipse
0.9.0 and will then switch my main work towards 1.0.0 which will be
based upon Luna.

I can very well understand the reasoning and have always been one who
argued in this direction. So if we can not manage to make use of those
new model elements we should remove them.

Tom