Re: [e4-dev] Horizontal extension possibility for e4 tooling

Am 19.11.2013 21:43, schrieb Marco Descher:
Hy guys,

thanks for the positive feedback!

@Joseph: Thats exactly one of the things I was thinking about :) The main problem I see currently, is that the code generating the Tab is deep down in every
concrete Element class extending AbstractComponentEditor (#doGetEdit). So we would in some way have to either lift this up to provide the extension for every
class, or add the call to the EP to any concrete Element class ---> (e4 guys please correct me!!!)

So this would be the major refactoring at the moment I guess.

@Jonas: I really like ECP and your talk on EclipseCon :) But as you say, it would require a big effort, which I won't be able to come up with.
Do you see the possibility of a combined, or two-step approach? That is for a first step we refactor to support the extension, and then these resp. extension could support ECP? So one could e.g. event move the currently available Default and Support to ECP if one wanted ... or do I get this wrong?
Actually ECP would kind of make the new extension obsolete, but you are right, there is initial effort. I will have to think about this and discuss it internally. So, just keep me posted on your status, I don't want to keep you from implementing this cool feature...

cheers,
marco