Re: [e4-dev] @Named dependency injection and OSGi services

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Darrel Karisch <Darrel.Karisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lars advocated honoring the name of the OSGi service in resolving a DI request.

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/369538/902360/#msg_902228

Has this enhancement request been given any attention?

While I'm not against this completely, OSGi already provides API to deal with acquiring and releasing the correct OSGi services.  For injection of OSGi services there's the DS framework that will bind/unbind the services as they come and go.

The IEclipseContext+DI was never meant to replace that, only provide easy access to the 80% case (I just want an OSGi service).  We're already lossy, in that the service is retrieved against a framework bundle and so changes in the consuming bundle state would never release the service.

I'm seeing a lot of risk in trying to get this correct, and not a lot of value over using the OSGi with DS.

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster